“Based on our evaluations, we came to the conclusion that Clarizen was the best solution for us. It was the most flexible and fit most of our needs with minimal configuration.”
Director Projects & Programs
As a utility company that is the world’s leading supplier of energy-efficient services, ENGIE’s mission is to help its customers convert to clean energy and contribute to a low carbon economy. ENGIE is also accelerating its own clean-energy transformation by investing in renewable energy and a decentralized energy supply chain.
As the team that designs, implements and operates IT projects for all of the business units of the ENGIE group, ENGIE’s IT team needed a better way to manage its application and infrastructure services. The project and portfolio management (PPM) software it was using was not efficient to manage. The team had to conduct manual tasks for making minor project and portfolio changes. Other challenges of their PPM software included:
- Not flexible, agile enough to fit the department’s needs
- Excessively costly to maintain and configure
To address these challenges, ENGIE IT evaluated 12 project management software solutions, and filtered this down to a shortlist of three vendors.
Each vendor was given two weeks to create a proof-of-concept system to demonstrate their respective solutions’ features and functionality in light of three core business objectives:
- Increase project manager efficiency
- Reduce PPM software costs
- Improve resource management and utilization
After exploring and analyzing each vendor’s proof-of-concept, ENGIE IT determined that Clarizen was the optimal solution based on its:
- Strong technical project management tools and functionality (e.g. easily set and change various task dependency options, access multiple Gantt views of project plans, drive enhanced collaboration, etc.)
- Intuitive and streamlined screens, views, navigation, and overall ergonomic user experience
- Flexibility to make rapid changes to workflows and configurations without causing slow-downs or disruptions
ENGIE IT was also particularly impressed by Clarizen’s cost-effectiveness (both initial and ongoing), and its strong security with respect to data protection, automatic audit trails, role and user-based permission controls.
- Optimized resource management: project managers are accessing resource schedules and assignments in real-time to avoid bottlenecks and under-utilization
- Greater budget management: project managers are accurately estimating project budgets based on customized data inputs (e.g., resource cost-per-hour)
- Enhanced visibility across the portfolio: with a full view of the portfolio, project leaders can manage budgets, make strategic decisions and generate reports for different stakeholder groups
Paris, La défense, France (Global Headquarters)
MS-Project, Excel, HP PPM