Generate branded, executive-quality Microsoft PowerPoint presentations
from your Clarizen One data with Slide Publisher.
Using the Clarizen Slide Publisher Template Wizard, an add-on for Microsoft PowerPoint, you can insert placeholder tags into any pre-designed PowerPoint presentation to automatically populate with your live data from Clarizen One.
Specification: Clarizen Apps
Categories: Project Management, Professional Services, Research and Development, Marketing, IT
Capabilities: Email Automation, Project Execution, Reporting and Dashboards
Typically, you would spend time combing manually through all the different areas where your project data lives, then spend even more time in organizing and formatting your data into a PowerPoint presentation for your key audience, such as leadership or customers. Your peers do the same for their projects, and you all repeat the same process on a regular basis (weekly, monthly, or quarterly). Imagine all the time you could get back if this process could be automated!
With Clarizen’s Slide Publisher you can produce branded, executive-quality presentations using your Clarizen data at the click of a button. Clarizen provides you the flexibility to design your slides in PowerPoint365, PowerPoint for Windows or PowerPoint for Mac and use the Template Wizard PowerPoint Add-in to find and place the right data points you need for your presentations.
With Slide Publisher you can:
- Pull your project’s data into your presentation (such as: Project Name, Sponsor, Description, Project Manager, Due Date)
- Display your project’s Roadmap in your presentation
- Pull your projects’ related information (such as: Resources’ Job Titles, Resource Rates, Risks, Issues, Requests and their fields) in tables
- Produce an entire program or portfolio presentation containing a summary slide and detailed, repeating slides per sub-project (yes, yes, extremely powerful).
- Define schedule for when reports are generated and sent out or you can manually initiate the generation of reports each time.
Slide Publisher has 3 components:
- Slide Publisher – app that you download and install from this page giving you access to the Publish Slides the button under Actions in Clarizen to launch the Slide Publisher.
- Slide Publisher Template Wizard – to insert your data in your own presentations. This is a free add-in for Microsoft PowerPoint available from the Microsoft Office Store
- Your PowerPoint Presentation – which you’ll tag up with the placeholders from the Template Wizard. When you’re done, just upload the presentation (PPTX) file to Clarizen.
Installing on Sandbox?
Click here to install instead of the button above
To start working immediately with Slide Publisher, you can use sample presentation templates accessible from the Documentation tab.
- Install the Slide Publisher app and enable it. When you enable the app it will offer to create a Topic for easy management and collaboration around the template files you’ll use.
- Download sample template files for a quick start:
- 4 Box Status Update
- New Project Request Deck
- Monthly Program Reporting Deck – for Projects with sub-projects
- Program Projects – for Programs with sub-projects
- Customer-Projects – for Customers with linked projects
- Portfolio-Projects – for Portfolios with linked projects
- Portfolio-Program-Projects – for Portfolios with linked Programs and their Sub Projects
- Vertical Template – for portrait-orientation presentation to mimic documents, with larger text areas, smaller fonts and tables with more rows. This template is suitable for multi-page documents and uses a standard 8.5 by 11 in’ letter format.
- Upload the file to your Clarizen account. If you did not create a topic upon installation it is recommended to link it somewhere accessible to all users in your organization, either to a Discussion Group: “PMO Stationery”, or a Topic: “Presentation Templates”.
- Go to a project of your choice and run the Action “Publish Slides”. Choose the relevant template to use and a new file will be created with your data. Alternatively, you can set schedules to have reports automatically generated and sent instead of manually creating reports each time.
- In PowerPoint, make any final formatting tweaks you need.
- Share your presentation with your stakeholders, team or customer.
UPGRADE PATH for Portfolio, Program & Customer-centric Presentations
If you want to create slides for specific portfolios, customers or programs but you have already installed / adapted an older Slide Publisher app, you can install the incremental upgrade you need for:
For advanced documentation, including creating your own templates, please see the full documentation.
- PowerPoint’s slide format imposes limitations on what can realistically fit on a screen. Don’t expect to show everything from your rich Clarizen screen on a single slide, if it won’t fit well on a slide, consider splitting up your data.
- PowerPoint tables will not auto-resize your text. If your fields contain a lot of text, your tables can spill off your slides and you’ll need to tidy up the sizing once you’ve generated your presentation. This is a standard feature of PowerPoint.
- We don’t think you can realistically interpret too many table rows on a slide. We’ve limited the number per table to 25, but don’t recommend more than 8-10 rows. You can set the limit, per table, in the Template Builder.
- When working with tables, add the 2 rows you need to the slide and plan in advance how you want to sort the rows (example: by Due Date ascending, by Score descending).
- Table filters are not stored anywhere outside of the placeholder tags. If you want to change fields in a table, it is recommended to regenerate all placeholders in that table to prevent saving conflicting filters and sorting onto your existing table.
- If you want to work with existing files in PowerPoint Online, you can upload them into OneDrive for Business or Sharepoint Online.